Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Nobody's Child


Nobody's Child is a memoir of the life of Marie Balter, an extraordinary woman who, after spending 20 years in a Massachusetts mental institution, went to college and, in the mid-1970's, earned an M.A. from Harvard University and founded the Balter Institute, a center for psychiatric treatment and counseling. Her life story was made into a made for television movie in 1986. Marlo Thomas played Marie, and won an Emmy for her performance.

The main reason I read the book was because I knew it was a story about resiliency. Marie was taken from her single mother when she was 5 years old, and put into foster care. She was adopted about a year later by an Italian family, Ma and Pa Bartello. Her life was characterized by anxiety attacks and depression. At one time the psychiatrists thought she was schizophrenic and they put her on some experimental drugs that almost killed her. Her story in a mental hospital referred to as "The Castle" is reminiscent of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but more filth. Over the years, conditions improved, with better science and a more empathic staff. As a result, Marie improved, was released, and her next chapter in life began. She when she was 68 in 1986 of cancer.

The last paragraph of her book gives insight to her resiliency:
Mother Teresa remains a guiding inspiration in my life. As she devotes herself to the hopelessly dying, I wish to dedicate my life to the hopelessly living. And as she draws her strength to from God, I wish to become a servant to God's will. There's a verse in the Old Testament which I treasure, and it's being carved deeper and deeper into my heart.I will build an altar unto You, O God, of the broken pieces of my heart.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger obladi oblada said...

Im going to have to read this. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home